API Documentation | Annotation
Annotations allow you to mark important events on your account. They are displayed above graphs in the annotations bar, where you can choose which categories of annotations you want shown, and help in correlation of events across the systems / business.
A string containing a fully qualified metric name in the format <digits>_<string>.
Fetching details for an annotation is as simple as performing a GET on the annotation cid:
From this we can see some important things:
- The annotation marks the time between 1577923232 (2020-01-02T00:00:32) and 15779268106 (2470-01-09T10:01:46)
- The category assigned to the alert ("upgrades") is included.
- The annotation has listed a metric "(54321_kbps") that it's associated with
Creating and Updating Annotations
Creating a new annotation is as simple as making a HTTP POST request to
/annotation and passing JSON representing the new annotation:
As is usual, the POST request returns the full JSON in the response (incuding the new annotation's cid, and any default and read only values)
Annotations can be updated simply by using the PUT HTTP method with new field values:
As is normal with Circonus the PUT method returns the full JSON of the updated annotation in response.
Listing and Filtering Annotations
Annotations can be listed simply by performing a HTTP GET request on
/annotation. You can apply filters in the usual way, for example
to list all support holidays in Q4 2013:
Note on filtering, you should not use a filter without a search parameter as well, using just a filter may become unsupported in the future. Please see the section on API searching.
Annotations can be simply removed by using the DELETE HTTP method on the cid:
Circonus Keyboard Shortcuts
- Jump to the user documentation.
- Show this keyboard help screen.
- Close help screens and dialogs.
- Focus on any available search field.
- Refresh content on the page without reloading the entire page; currently works on graphs, worksheets, and dashboards.
Graph Grid Shortcuts
- On a worksheet, hold it down to invert the current legend hover
On “My Graphs” and the “Trending & Analytics Dash,” hold it down to show the legend when hovering over a graph.
- Hold down to show the date shifting toolbar for modifying the start date. Can be combined with <period>.
- Hold down to show the date shifting toolbar for modifying the end date. Can be combined with <comma>.
- Nudge the date range for the current graph(s) backward.
- Nudge the date range for the current graph(s) forward.
- Toggle the display of histogram sparklines (shown upon hovering over a graph when viewing or when on a dashboard).
- Hold down to unlock graph hovering datapoint selection, allowing mouse hovering to select nearby datapoints.
Mousewheel & Touchpad Shortcuts
- Hold down while scrolling to zoom graphs' Y axes.
- Hold down while scrolling to zoom graphs' X axis.
- Hold down while scrolling to shift graphs' X axis.
- Hold down while scrolling to shift graphs' X axis start dates. Can be combined with <period>.
- Hold down while scrolling to shift graphs' X axis end dates. Can be combined with <comma>.